Calling All Pre K-3 Educators: Mini-Courses
Meeting New Licensure Requirements ~ Pre K-5
Created and Presented by Sally Grimes, Ed. M.
Thursdays 3PM – 8PM in Burlington, MA: March 9, 16, 30, April 6
If teachers enroll in any three of these mini courses @ 5 hours each, they receive 15 PDP’s that can be applied toward certification renewal for either Special Ed or English Learner Licensure, depending on a teacher’s preference.
1. Executive Function Difficulties: What Makes A Difference in the Classroom? (March 9th)
- Addresses characteristics of Executive Function issues that can affect classroom work and behavior, homework and interpersonal relationships
- Provides the “nuts and bolts” of recognizing and assisting Executive Function issues such as planning, organizing, prioritizing and “executing” tasks.
2. Differentiation and the Brain: How Neuroscience Supports the Learner-Friendly Classroom (March 16th)
- Presents current findings in the growing field of educational neuroscience that support recommendations for the classroom
- Provides ideas using concrete examples for content and process for a spectrum of diverse learners.
3. Morphology - Its Valuable Role in Developing Vocabulary Pre K -12 (March 3oth)
- Providing information about how a host of morphemes (prefixes, suffixes, roots and base words) impacts vocabulary development and thus comprehension in novel and motivating ways
- Attendees will learn to break words into morphologically meaningful parts and also how to use the 21 most common affixes. (Example: knowing that the morpheme “spect” comes from the Latin “to see, to watch:” helps students understand the meaning of respect, spectator, spectacular, introspective, spectacles and retrospective etc.)
4. Good Talkers & Listeners Become Good Readers & Writers (April 6th)
- Provides practice with Oral Language and Listening activities (e.g., The Thirty Second Conversation, The Describing Activity and many others
- The importance of having a “Talking Table” and Listening Center and manipulatives will be discussed with examples and resources provided/span>
?’s Sally Grimes (email@example.com) (No cost for Burlington educators. Others: $120)